Saturday, December 31, 2011

shift


Source: artyulia.com via Katie on Pinterest


Sometimes your dreams change shape.

It was a tearful goodbye, but I said it.  That dream, the multiple degrees, the academic career? I don't want it anymore.  A good-sized part of me never really wanted it.  Once I finally recognized that and believed it, I felt a wonderful sense of peace and calm, so different from the uncertainty that plagued me from August to December.  One semester of graduate school made me realize that I want to teach.

So this new year is bringing changes with it.  I am leaving my current program, taking a semester to work and save and read through my monstrous stack of books, and enrolling in a teacher certification/master's degree program in the summer.

Changes come, but they can be so good.  This is one of my steps toward a joy-filled life.

Image by Yulia Brodskaya

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Well done - it takes guts to make a decision like that and wisdom to recognise that you need to shift your dreams. All the very best for 2012.

Brandi said...

Congrats on having the courage to pursue your path. Your words really resonated with me. I began to dream in whole new ways this year. I realized I don't want to be an academic either, and left my PhD program (though I still have a thesis to complete to get my master's degree). Isn't it wonderful to feel like you're finally finding yourself? Happy 2012, my dear!