Monday, May 31, 2010

festive cobbler?

As a wedding gift, my best friend's mom found me this cookbook:

[caption id="attachment_67" align="alignnone" width="218" caption="1978 Edition"][/caption]

Now, this is the cookbook that my mom has always use, and Oma as well, to make special dishes for holidays or from gardens or just for fun.  So my mom asked Kat's mom to find a copy of it, and she did!  I have the single hardback volume, while my mom has a giant binder with a bunch of other recipes stuck in, but both editions have a TON of reference information.  I highly recommend them.  I have been told that the older editions are the best, but I haven't seen newer ones in order to compare.  I just happen to find the 1978 edition much more fun than a brand-new volume, maybe because it's the same one my mom has used for my entire life.

My new in-laws have a cherry tree in their yard that produces rather sour cherries.  They look good but taste tart.  So I looked up cherries in the index of the BCC and found a recipe for cherry cobbler that calls for tart cherries.  How perfect is that?

It's in the oven right now, looking all patriotic with the bright red cherries in a blue and white Bybee Pottery casserole pan borrowed from my mother-in-law.  It makes me smile, because she and my mom both love the same pattern from Bybee.

I hope it tastes good!

*edit: it does, if I do say so myself!*

No comments: