Tuesday, July 13, 2010

one yard wonders: project #1

A little before the wedding, I took a trip to Barnes and Noble to use a gift card leftover from Christmas.  How it survived so long, I don't know, but it bought me a novel and it bought me this book.


It's super fun.

For my first project, I decided to make a cover for these useful but unattractive storage drawers.

[caption id="attachment_257" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="I have five of the white ones you can hardly see, next to the blue unit. This was taken my old apartment."][/caption]

I used this project:



It went fairly well, though I missed a bit on the measurements (math has never been my strong suit)  and should've used a different fabric for the front.  I clothespinned some lightweight sheer something over it, and it looks better now.  It was too much of a watermelon at first.  Oops.

But, overall, I like the results.

[caption id="attachment_259" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="before and after"][/caption]

The room still needs some work, but I really like how it feels.  Once I get a desk down to this place, it'll be the perfect workspace as I finish my last undergraduate class.

No comments: