Monday, July 11, 2011

Janeites, Again

The festival was bigger and even more fun this year.  I learned a bit about bobbin lace from an incredibly skilled craftswoman, a little about regency hairstyling from a wigmaker from Actor's Theater, and a touch about Regency garments.  The tea, though, was perhaps the best part of the day.  I chose Marianne's Wild Abandon, a green and black tea blend with a floral infusion, along with an irish tea cake with fresh cream and berries.

I'll let the pictures tell you the rest.

{birthday gift for my aunt} 
{an early edition of Godey's Lady's Book--I've looked at scans of its pages, but this was the first time I held one in person.  This is where many American female writers were first published.}
{sugar dish}
{tea from the Jane Austen Tea Series}
{Irish tea cake with fresh berries and cream}
{the Shops of Meryton}
{in a shop}
{on the grounds of Locust Grove}
{Regency reproductions by Gayle Simmons}

{that bow, about two by three inches in size, took eighty hours to create}
{the materials for making bobbin lace}

1 comment:

KT @ KT's Refinishing School said...

Ahh that sounds absolutely amazing--I've always wanted to go to a fair like that! Thank you for sharing your photos and I'm glad you had such a great time :)

P.S. I noticed that this year is the year of Sense and Sensibility, my favorite Jane Austen novel...I wish I lived in your area so I could go to all the festivities!