Monday, October 24, 2011

Mornings

Guys, I'm not a morning person, not in the slightest.  We've had to wake by seven every morning for over a week and my body is not too keen on being disturbed an hour to two hours earlier than usual.



But I've got a new thought for myself: stop bemoaning the mornings you get up early, tired, stiff, and make your way to the window or outside to catch the sun's first foray above the tree line.



Autumnal sunrises are exceptionally beautiful.  And it's not just the sun that's lovely--it's the entire sky, cast in ephemeral golden-pink amidst its usual blues and grays.



I used to know the beauty you find when you wake early, three years ago, in the semester that I had eight o'clock classes every day and woke at four-thirty for work every Saturday.  Since the summer, though, in luxuriating in my later-starting mornings, I've missed a lot of sunrises.  I don't know if catching a few more will motivate me to get out of my warm bed as winter makes its slow approach and the dawn air has a distinct frosty bite, but at least I know something lovely awaits me on those mornings that the alarm sounds all too soon.

Tomorrow I might walk to the end of the cul-de-sac, my little point-and-shoot instead of my cell phone in hand, and capture a few more moments of the day's beginning, this time without houses in them...have a lovely morning, and keep looking for beauty.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i'm a night owl by nature. but i've discovered that magical beauty of mornings.
my issue is never enough sleep, otherwise i would get up early by choice.