Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I do still read the printed word.

I'm very attached to books.  They're enchanting and feel good in your hands.  Stacks and shelves of them can make a room your own.

{source unknown; found on weheartit}

Unfortunately, they are also heavy, as the dear friends who helped Cory and me move last month discovered, although I was nice enough to transport some of my books before the actual move, so there were only two smaller boxes full.

{source unknown}

Because of the heft of a bag full of books, I've been thinking about purchasing a reader of some sort, and if I do, I'll have to find myself an adorable case, of course.  If I'm going to tote around something that doesn't have quite the same aesthetic pleasure as an actual paperback, I should at least make it a little prettier.

IMG_3242

I'd like to find one that would allow me to read all those journals that I'll be diving into for the next two years without having to print them off--does an ereader with the ability to open and view pdf files exist?  I could never abandon real paper books, heavy though they may be, but a reader could be enormously helpful as I earn an MA in English, especially because a lot of older works (like the ones I'll be reading for a couple interesting-looking classes) are public domain and available for free.

I haven't yet figured out how I'll like reading books on a screen, though.

I encountered a whole lot of uncredited images while looking for pictures to use today and picked my favorites.  If you have any idea where they came from, could you tell me?  

4 comments:

kimbirdy said...

i totally agree - there's nothing like an old stack of books. they're so much fun!! however, i would have given anything to have a reader during grad school. i got my masters in psychology which mostly consisted of readings and class discussions. my professors were awesome and assigned all online readings/scanned book chapters so we didn't have to buy books. but lugging my laptop around san francisco by foot drove me crazy, but i did it so i wouldn't have to print them off {poor trees!}. and if i got to put it in an adorable case like this one? yup, sold.

KT @ KT's Refinishing School said...

I have a Nook and while nothing beats a good ole book, my Nook is especially helpful when traveling. I am a fast reader which means I usually need to bring several books with me when I travel which takes up valuable real estate (especially with baggage fees and all that). Also, they are very helpful for reading in bed, poolside or on a beach. Not having to hold a book open and turn pages means you can lay on your side, stomach, whatever a lot easier :)

Beth said...

I absolutely love my kindle. I just bought a new one in May for my birthday, and I use it every day. I had the DX, but it was a little bulky for my needs (so Matt inherited it). I went for the second cheapest option so I could avoid ads since their "special offers" didn't really appeal to me. Someone put it well: "would you allow Amazon to pay you $25 to put ads on your screen?" If it doesn't bother you, go for the deal. If it does, spend a little extra. :)
Let me know if you decide to go through and get one. We can loan books to one another! :)

Mo said...

I don't know if this is available at your library, but some libraries are loaning out e-readers with the ebooks so you can try one out! I haven't bought an ereader yet, but I see it one in my purchasing future.
Also, that case from Thimble is super adorable!!