Wednesday, May 25, 2011

effortless style

I spotted this photo on Pinterest while looking for inspiration for the short(er) haircut I've been pondering lately.  I love the graceful imperfection in her overall appearance and the simplicity of her style, and I decided to hunt down the source, in hopes of finding more inspiration for style in general.




I found the original post on You Are My Fave and discovered, unsurprisingly, that she's French.  Her name is Nine d'Urso and she is the daughter of a model and designer.  I suppose great style is second nature for her; the other images, all taken from Parisian Chic (written by her mother, Inès de la Fressange), definitely make it seem that way!  Bloggers all over the place seem to be obsessed with the way she wears classic pieces so well, and I guess I'll have to count myself among them.  I might even join Gabrielle of DesignMom in getting my hair cut in that style--it's the perfect mix of unruly and controlled and would probably work with my not-straight-not-wavy hair.
The kicker, for me, is how young she is--just a teen--and how naturally she wears beautiful pieces.  I know that Parisian Chic has received mixed reviews, both for being reductive and for being a bit of a let-down, but I'm definitely at least a little interested in getting my hands on a copy long enough to see for myself.

I'm learning French right now, which may or may not have influenced my current interest in all things French.  Who knows if that will become a trend around here?

3 comments:

Brandi said...

I want to learn how to put things together effortlessly. It'd probably help if I had more pieces to do that with. And the short hair I really dig. The moment I saw Quinn's new cut on Glee last night, I turned to my roommate and told her I wanted my hair like that.

KT @ KT's Refinishing School said...

What a cute haircut! I didn't know you were learning French--how fun! I took two semesters of French in college (along with two semesters of Spanish) and now I'm just confused :)

Katie said...

Brandi, I think I have the opposite problem! I have a bunch of pieces that just don't work together. I went for the haircut. :)

KT, I took three semesters of Spanish in college but I'll need a second foreign language competency for the PhD program I want to start in two years, so I'm trying French. The Spanish I know is actually making it easier to learn, though. Go figure! Hopefully I don't end up too confused.